Friday, March 13, 2009

Sigh...mustering effort...


Gotta love a laptop! I'm home sick from work today and am blogging from bed! If I didn't feel so sh*tty, I'd feel decadent! I have to confess - I am a big, sniveling, whining wimp when I am sick! I loudly and proudly display all of the characteristics and mannerisms that, in healthy days, I actively despise in other people! I hate being sick - and one of the reasons why, I realized yesterday through today, is that it's boring, and it is the only time that I am ever bored! Too tired, achy, creaky, snotty, weakened, sweaty, chilly, itchy, irritable, thirsty, chapped to be able to do anything. Clothing on my skin is uncomfortable and annoying, my bed sheets and covers get all twisted and tangled, my hair is all flattened and agitating...the curtains are closed when I want them open, then they are open when I want them closed...my beloved bed and mattress now seem much to high off the ground to bother swinging my feet around and down to the floor to get up and fix the curtains - besides, I'm too stiff and sore. I try doing a Sudoku puzzle but my pen runs out - aw, for f*cks sake! - FINE! I'll multitask to make it worthwhile - haul myself miserably out of bed, head to the bathroom (you know how when you're sick so that it even hurts to pee?!), shuffle back to my room, find another pen, head over to the curtains and fix them to be however they're going to be until they again end up all wrong, and then stagger back to bed, straighten (at least a little bit - too weak to do it all)the covers, climb WAY up onto the mattress that, until I felt so wretchedly miserable, was coveted for it's high, plush qualities, fall back against the pillows with a sacrificial, wheezing sigh...burning hot again and winded from this taxing, torturous trek...

I told you. I'm pathetic. The worst! Of note, (and yes, I am fully aware of the absolute hypocrisy of this) if anybody else EVER behaved in my vicinity even remotely like I do when sick, I would gleefully volunteer to put them out of their misery for good. So how do you like me now?! Bleh!

I do feel a moderate amount of shame and embarrassment for my unequivocal wimpiness, especially in contrast to my 5 1/2 year old son, Casey. This kid has just spent over a week home sick from school (which was very disappointing to him - he just LOVES school) because he came down with pneumonia. Pneumonia! How on earth my healthy, active, gregarious little boy developed pneumonia is beyond me, but develop it he did, resulting in a visit to the Emergency Room of Children's Hospital, and a week's course of antibiotics. Of my three children, and in my 13+ years as a mom, I have never had a child so sick for so long. Raging fever, sometimes with hallucinations and nightmares, zero appetite (my slim, sometimes skinny little Casey didn't ingest any solids for over a week!), headaches, stomachaches, ear infection, coughing that made his throat sore and disrupted his sleep, nose so stuffy he felt like he was choking and couldn't breathe alternating with a nose so runny that his poor upper lip became painfully raw and chapped...just horrible for a little guy. And remarkably, no word of a lie, throughout the entire time, Casey did not complain ever. Not even a little bit, not once. The boy was patient and brave, and though I already think the absolute world of him,he earned a whole new level of respect from me, and showed me what grit really looks like! (Move over, Clint Eastwood!). So now, do you think I can muster even the slightest bit of stoicism or endurance in the face of his impressive example? Nope. Not a bit. Say it with me now, folks - PA! THE! TIC!

Now all this blogging has weakened me...I must rest. Oh, my failing energy...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails